"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Backyard Birder goes to Sweden

My cousin gave me this wonderful book on the birds of Sweden.

The magpie, or Skata in Swedish, are very common throughout Sweden.
My husband and I just returned from an amazing trip to Scandinavia. Although we were there to meet our relatives and see the country, I couldn't help take notice of the birds. 

As translated from the book above:

Magpies, or Swedish Skata, are black and white with very long tails. A metallic blue-green sheen is visible on the wings. Magpies live in rural farming areas and cities throughout Sweden except in the Fjallkedjan mountain range. It has learned to consider man as a source of food.  Their numbers have increased in Sweden in recent decades.  They eat almost anything including, dead animals, garbage, eggs, worms, insects, fruit and seeds. It builds a large, covered nest of twigs. The nest is clearly visible in the winter when the leaves have fallen. 

Magpies belong to the Family Corvidae, which includes crows and jays. They are gregarious and noisy. 

Happy Birding!
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment