"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Mealworms for black phoebes

Photo by J.J. Meyer
I'm anxiously awaiting the sight of baby birds!

A pair of black phoebes has been visiting my yard for the past few years.  At least twice a day -- generally early morning and before dusk -- I would find them on my patio. They peep and look in the window until I come out with mealworms.  But for the last few weeks, only one has been visiting. It picks up the mealworms, then flies out in the same direction, so I know they're nesting.

Live mealworms can be purchased at many pet and nature stores such as Wild Birds Unlimited. And if you'd like to attract insect-eating birds don't use pesticides in your yard.
Happy Birding!
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment