"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
— Emily Dickinson

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Mealworms for black phoebes

Photo by J.J. Meyer
I'm anxiously awaiting the sight of baby birds!

A pair of black phoebes has been visiting my yard for the past few years.  At least twice a day -- generally early morning and before dusk -- I would find them on my patio. They peep and look in the window until I come out with mealworms.  But for the last few weeks, only one has been visiting. It picks up the mealworms, then flies out in the same direction, so I know they're nesting.

Live mealworms can be purchased at many pet and nature stores such as Wild Birds Unlimited. And if you'd like to attract insect-eating birds don't use pesticides in your yard.
Happy Birding!
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment