"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Feeders empty? Think predator

A Cooper's hawk waits near my birdfeeder for an unsuspecting visitor.  Photo by J.J. Meyer
My two seed feeders are generally filled with birds most of the time, so I was concerned when there were no birds in sight.  There was an eery silence when I stepped outside to check.  That's when I spotted it.

A Cooper's hawk was perched behind my seed tube feeder.  Just waiting. You can find this accipiter year-round in Southern California.  They've adapted to urban areas, where they've found it easy to snatch a meal at backyard birdfeeders.  

It's part of the circle of life.  But if you want to protect your songbirds, hang your feeders where birds can take cover for a quick escape.

J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment