"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Guess who's back in town?

My first sighting of a white-crowned sparrow! Photo by J.J. Meyer
I've been waiting anxiously for the return of the white-crown sparrows that take up residence in our yard for the winter.  And today is my first sighting!  My new visitor, an adult, shows a particularly bright orange-yellow bill.  The bright light may have influenced this color slightly, but it sure looks brighter than others I've photographed in the past.

You might see White-crowned Sparrows at backyard feeders, but they are mainly ground feeders. Their foraging technique involves double-scratching, a move I like to call the "Towhee Two Step." White-crown sparrows and towhees perform a quick hop backwards to turn over leaves followed by a forward hop and pounce.  They prefer the cover of low foliage and thick bushes. 

Attract these birds by serving black-oil sunflower seeds, millet and cracked corn.

Tweet this to your friends!
Happy Birding!
J.J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment