"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Hummingbirds disappear from San Fernando Valley feeders during the super bloom

Photo by David Murray

David Murray, a reader from the San Fernando Valley contacted me after my story about the super bloom ran on Saturday.  Here's his note:

Dear Jennifer,

I enjoyed your 5/11/2019 Home & Garden article on the current status of bird feeders.
I am an engineer and a hummingbird “nut” watching and counting and feeding and recording their activities in my back yard. 

I currently have three 96 fl. Oz. feeders that I make myself and during this winter I have counted between 40-50 humming birds regularly during each of the late evening feeding periods. From March 23rd, I started noticing a reduction in the fluid quantity that they fed and on March 29th, a significant reduction that is from 105 fl. Oz. total per day to currently 24.5 fl. Oz. total per day. And not nearly as many hummingbirds were visiting the feeders.

I have certainly noticed this year that the excess rain we had increased the plant growth, flowering season and also the insect increase. Also, I noticed that the occasionally ‘rare’ to see Hooded Orioles were much more regular feeders on the hummingbird feeders – I guess they lucky also to have long tongues that fit in the HB feeder holes !

David

Thanks, David! An interesting followup to the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment