"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

White-crowned sparrows are migrating

Bathing helps keep feathers in good shape for long flights.  Photo by J.J. Meyer
The flock of white-crowned sparrows that spend the winter with us are officially gone for the season. Only two stragglers remained in our yard on April 10. The next day, there were none. They migrated two days earlier than last year.

You may still see white-crown sparrows migrating through Orange County as they make their way north to their summer breeding grounds in the northwestern part of the United States, Canada, and Alaska. And there are pockets along the California coast where these birds live year-round.

I hope my little friends have a safe flight. I'll look for them again in September.

Happy Birding!
J.J.


1 comment:

  1. I saw a White-crowned at San Joaquin marsh on April 10th and didn't realize it was probably my last look at one of the beauties this season.

    Really enjoy your articles ... thanks!

    ReplyDelete