"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Mockingbirds serenade in the fall

Northern Mockingbird sings near Charlotte, N.C.  Photo by J.J. Meyer

Have you been hearing the songs of the Northern Mockingbird this fall? They were noticeably silent when they were molting in late summer.  But they typically sing again from September to November.

In the spring, the male sings his heart out in hopes of attracting a mate. And even after he's found that special lady, his songs go on day and night.  Mockingbirds continue to sing for two purposes: to defend their territory and reinforce the pair bond.

Mockingbirds are typically insect and berry eaters.  But they visit my yard daily for suet snacks and handouts of meal worms. 

Happy Birding!
J.J. 

1 comment:

  1. A mockingbird has just started eating all of the mealworms I normally put out for my favorite phoebe. I put out more and the mockingbird eats them all and chases the phoebe away. Any suggestions? I tried putting some mealworms on the other side of my yard/pool, where the phoebe takes her dips, but she didn't seem to take to them. I'll try again tonight and maybe put some suet out for the mockingbird. I really enjoy your posts. I started seeing your articles in the Register and now enjoy getting your posts in my email - Rosie/Laguna Niguel

    ReplyDelete