"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

White storks nest in Sweden

Platforms were constructed to encourage storks to nest at the Flyinge Kungsgard. Photo by J.J. Meyer

The Flyinge Kungsgard in Southern Sweden.  Photo by J.J. Meyer
I'm including another post about the birds in Sweden. My family took my husband and I to this equestrian facility in southern Skane. Seeing the storks were a wonderful surprise. Check out my other recent posts about the birds of Sweden.

The white stork suffered a decline in Sweden during the 19th and 20th centuries from changes in farming. When the wetlands began to disappear, their food source dried up. Thanks to conservation and reintroduction programs across Europe, the white stork has resumed breeding in the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and Sweden.

Flyinge Kungsgard is the largest and best-known an equestrian center for breeding, training and research in southern Sweden. It was established by King Carl X Gustaf of Sweden in 1661.

Next post: Good news about the wood stork in the U.S.
Happy Birding!
J.J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment