"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Missing my white-crowned sparrows

Adult white-crowned sparrows are easily distinguished by the bold black and white stripes.  Photo by J.J. Meyer
A flock of white-crowned sparrows winter in my back yard every year.  They arrived last year at the end of September and they officially left yesterday.  I took this photo on the last day of their visit.  According to Cornell Lab, they tend to return to the same area every year, so hopefully I'll see them again this fall. 

Most white-crown sparrows migrate to their spring breeding grounds in Canada and Alaska, traveling as far as 2,600 miles.  Scientists at Cornell have documented resident white-crowned sparrows along the Pacific Coast and parts of the West that do not migrate.  Post any sightings on eBird.

Happy Birding!
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment