"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Embracing the California Towhee

A California Towhee loads up on worms to take to the nest.  J.J. Meyer
I used to love the American robins we had hopping around the yard when I lived in the Midwest.  I don't see as many in our yard here in California, although I know they are definitely around.  So I've started to embrace the California Towhee, which is about the same size and shape as a robin, although they are from different families.  Towhees hop around the yard looking for worms, insects and seeds.  And they have a distinctive two-step scratch when foraging on the ground.  I've been putting out mealworms, initially for the Black Phoebes, but now the Towhees have taken over the dish.  They can fit about 10 mealworms in those large conical bills. You can also attract Towhees to your yard by offering millet on a tray on the ground.
Happy Birding!
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment