"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Rain won't keep them away

A scrub jay visits every morning to snack on suet. Photo by J.J. Meyer
I bring the feeders in every night to prevent rats from getting to them.  And I was a bit late putting them out this morning because of the drizzle.  My friend the scrub jay let me know.  It was sitting on the patio wall this morning, just a few feet from my dining room window looking in. 

When it's raining, I generally throw handfuls of seed on the ground for the birds. I won't put the feeders out in a downpour because I don't want the seed to get wet. Moldy seed is bad for the birds. They generally reject it anyway and you'll end up throwing it out.  A plastic dome helps keep the feeder dry in light rain, but it won't help in a severe storm.
Tweet this!
Happy Birding!
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment