"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Close encounters of the avian kind

I wish I had a video camera in hand the day I heard a screeching hawk in my yard.  I recognized the sound immediately and ran to see what was going on.  A Cooper's hawk was admonishing a plastic owl for being in his territory.  I hung the plastic owl by a string from my apricot tree because the mockingbirds were destroying all the fruit. (I was perfectly happy to give them the fruit at the top of the tree, but they being greedy.) The plastic owl twirled around on the string while the hawk screeched furiously at it.  Very funny.

Have you had close encounters with wild birds?  I’d love to hear funny or unusual stories about your backyard birds.  Please post your stories here or send a note to jjthebackyardbirder@gmail.com.  Your story may be included in an upcoming column. 
Happy birding!
Tweet this to your friends,
JJ
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment