"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."
Emily Dickinson

Monday, May 23, 2011

The case of the missing tail

This California Towhee shows tail feathers growing in.
     I'm on a mission to determine why this California Towhee is without tail feathers. The experts I've checked with have given me two suggestions, it's either a fledgling or it's an adult that's been attacked. Humm. First of all, it doesn't really act like a fledgling. Despite not having a tail, it's a strong flyer. It seems to act independently foraging for food and using the bird bath. I've seen it with another adult towhee without showing typical fledgling behaviors.
     If anyone has the answer, please let me know.
     Happy birding!
     JJ

Mate or parent? This adult California Towhee hops around the yard with the tailless bird.

    

4 comments:

  1. I have the same situation this year in my back yard in the Napa Valley. We first thought this was a youthful bird with his mother (there is one with a tail that is with him). He is quite tame and flies well. We would love to know about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same situation this year in my back yard in the Napa Valley. We first thought this was a youthful bird with his mother (there is one with a tail that is with him). He is quite tame and flies well. We would love to know about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an adult that shows up every morning for the daily worm feeding for lizards - and now the Towhee also. This AM a tailless Towhee showed up and exhibited the exact same behavior as the one we usually have, and was very tame. I'm guessing our regular Towhee lost its tail somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some birds are beginning to molt. That could be the reason for the missing tail at this time of year. I had written this blog post in May, which is breeding season. Birds don't molt until breeding season is over. That's why I found it odd.

      Delete